Thursday, April 3, 2008

Umbrella Versus Siti Payung :)

I believe all of you readers know the song "Umbrella" was originally sang by Rihanna. To the older generations perhaps they are more into Siti Payung - a classic Ghazal (if I am not mistaken). According to some articles in the internet; the song was actually intended for Britney Spears - no offense to all Spears fans out there but I do thank GOD that she rejected the song. I mean look at how sexy Rihanna was in the video clip but at least she CAN sing. Maybe Britney can beat the sexy thingy but definitely she can't beat the singing huhu.

Well anyway, I heard of a 'softer' version of the song twice - on the radio on my way home & then last Sunday while I was in Jusco Equinne Park on the way meeting my friends from high school. I asked Jai who was singing and he only mentioned about a mixed Japanese-Irish-English singer who made herself famous by singing through the YouTube (I guess its the trend nowadays right). So I search through the Internet - armed with the keyword "Umbrella Cover Version" up till the name MariƩ Christina Digby appeared on the wikipedia page. Well I'm sure that for those internet savvy out there it will be a piece of cake in finding this new singer, but it took me quite some time but when I eventually "found" her I was so happy. She's quite pretty to begin with and she's so talented if I might add. http://www.myspace.com/mariedigby

I just enjoyed listening to this softer version of hers as it sounded sweeter and more sincere. I mean when you want to tell someone that you love them or you will be their friend forever or you are seriously in a serious feeling with them (does it even make sense?) you would want to make it slow and focus and serious right? Don't get me wrong, Rihanna's version has nothing wrong with it but maybe it is a bot too funky or hippy for some old chap like myself hehehe. that is why I took Marie Digby's version to put it on my blog but then I noticed it stop working after a few weeks. I shall find way to either put it back. I am new to this blogging thingy and so I am still learning on how to have things added to my blogs. So please be patience ok :)

Did anyone notice that Salih Yaakob started singing the Siti Payung in an English version? Its known as Siti Umbrella, duh Umbrella = payung, get it? I know its just for fun but I think it does not give a good impression of c orrect English usage. As I look at media as a medium for learning and entertainment, the stations should aim as a mean to educate Malaysians, youngsters to be exact as the content are catered towards these people. I mean, one can see that my English is not perfect either, but I can assure you that I searched for words which I am uncertain of, just so that I don't send the wrong message across.

My "Ayah", grandfather was a headmaster who taught English during the British Era in Tanah Melayu or Malaya. And he was taught by a British teacher, therefore he can really speak like one even at the age of 8o ++ years now. And my father insisted that we speak English at home as I have growing nephews :). My Bonda and two sisters can speak English very well so basically there are no reason for me not to speak English at home and that is how learn to improve myself.

At times I feel sad when confronted with younger generations who can't even speak basic English for failing to realize how important it is. I mean there are a lot of ways to learn this simple language, we listen to English songs more than we do with Malay songs. At least for me that is, because it seemed that at times I can't even name a few Malay songs or Singers, or is that because I rarely listen to the radio hehehehe

Magazines are fun to read, even if its CLEO or Seventeen. I am taking these magazines as an example because those are the best sellers during my weekend job at BTC. My English 'teacher' The Star on Saturdays!!! Its cheap and very thick and I really enjoyed reading everything and anything, even the business section, though I easily get lost within the words and jargon huhuhu. My favorite column? The Katz Tales of course! I like reading about those adorable cats. Kinda remind me of my two ex-cats Jebab and Mac. I miss having cats around, but rest assured. Once I have my own house I shall have cats cats and more cats wakakakakaka.

Well, anyway back to the topic. I think it would be good to have one extra language other than your mother tongue. Even now the government are encouraging people to take up third language, Mandarin as it is the widely used language around the globe.

...Which kinda remind me that I haven't listen to those Mandarin subject cassettes for a long time now. Where could have I misplaced those cassettes? I think I oughta stop blogging and start searching now. Don't worry I will be back once I found those cassettes :)

No comments: