Monday, August 27, 2012

Good Bye Param ...

Hmm on this day a month ago, was one of my staff's last day. Param aka Premy (the man is with a split personality) is leaving for a better position and salary. He is an asset to the company but I will never stop my guys from growing outside if not inside.

I strongly believe that a good leader will not only perform his/her job well but also being able to mold his/her subordinates to become better at being the leader of the next generations. People often asked me if I am not tired of training people when they leave for a better position or offer. I guess they themselves forgotten that they have mentioned the word "better". Being a front liner staff allows to you to learn what the job is all about and being better at it. But your leader must be able to recognize your talent before polishing it to prepare you for the next promotions to come. But sadly that is not happening.

I have been conducting a few interviews whenever there's a vacancy for my team and sadly I don't see the leaders playing a significant role in developing the people. Of course, I don't expect you to know in and out the function of the job which you are applying but a little bit of knowledge doesn't hurt and will certainly help you to get through the ordeal of the interview.

Secondly, most of the time the leaders comments are rubbish! Mainly its just to 'give face' or because it is part of the application form requirement. Example; under Time Management Box the staff wrote "I come on time and goes back on time. And the leader will rate it as Excellent! Firstly there's no elaboration on how the staff was able to go back on time, no mentioning about the productivity what so ever. Excellent should go to those who came to work earlier I'd say, but of course not necessary to go back late as it can be a sign of low productivity - targets not achieved hence to complete the target the staffs are staying back.

Sadly the leaders does not make effort to get to know the staffs that well hence hindering the ability to work around their weaknesses while not forgetting their strengths.

Well anyway, Param is a Gentle Giant in my team. Not to mention a little bit crazy with his 18sx jokes. He is slightly round and a very jovial person. He lightens up any situation but is damn serious when it comes to work. His passion was to be in the Operation's Team but sadly no one had actually taken him seriously and he was always the second through some people's eyes. Not to mentioned most of the time being bullied by others to clean up their shit. So one fine day he applied for a position in my team, at that time I was not yet promoted and so we became colleagues. Even when I so-called became his boss, he never fails to lend me a hand teaching me on the things which I know not and always there to listen to my crankiness and craziness, oh not to mention the long 'lecture' aka "membebel" at all times. I am going to miss that.

He never cease to amaze me with all sorts of talents he has, a good makan makan partner as well. Although we are the kinda pair, when it comes to eating I think we enjoyed each others company. He always bring food from home. Staying with his family of four and together with his aunt and grandmother, he was never short of food I guess. He would bring a lot of cakes and fruits to be shared. But my favorite will be the Papadom :) Haha something to munch during work.

I wish him all the best for his future and thank you always for being an awesome subordinate but most importantly an awesome friend. Missing you Param aka Premy.

No comments: