Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Am I doing the right thing...

Hi all, at times I questioned myself if I am doing something for the sake of doing or am I doing it for the sake of others? Or if what ever I am doing benefits just myself (aka selfish) or for the benefits of others? If what I am doing is worth hurting others, up to the extend of humiliating others? Honestly I do not know.

All I know is that in order for me and my team to continue doing what we do best, we need all the support which we can get. And that is inclusive of participation from other parties.

First is hiring - hiring the correct person for the job is almost impossible. You need a combination of both English fluency and IT literate. I am not an IT literate but I do have what it takes to be part of this team and that is attitude. But then again, how do actually gauge attitude during interview? Its not easy to come up with an assessment for that. Maybe to test patient and concentration you can try to use the cube puzzle game. So give it to them and try to strike a conversation with them. See where do they focus more, the game or you? Its a good practice for multitasking as well :) In this job environment multi tasking is a must and therefore, during the interview stage they will know what's coming their way.

Training will be challenging as a bunch of people with different abilities and capabilities are grouped together and the training needs to be for a general batch. You will have difficulties in terms of assuring that these people do understand what you are trying to deliver. You will have people who has never use a computer their whole life, does not know what is email as they are so familiar with snail mail, does not know what Internet Explorer is etc. But I believe that a good trainer will be able to assist these people. How do I know, because I was trained by one. Haridas Balakrishnan was fondly known also as Super Mario, was a good trainer, at least for me. He not only taught about the product and the system requirement but also disciplining us and educating us on the importance of being on time and punctual and respecting time for the sake of the operations. If you exceeded your break time then you need to stay extra hours to replace it. And if you keep on coming late he will ensure that you will be fine, either by buying sweets for the class or doing the presentation on the topic. Homework was there of course for the next day topic so at least we will not be all blurry when he is teaching the next day. He moved to the Operations Team and now he has left the company.

I do not know what is required to be a good trainer because I am not even one to begin with, but unfortunately now I am dwelling into a 'something' which requires me to do extra work. i don't mind but I need to know if its worth it? I so need an opinion at the moment :)

No comments: